Whether they’re designing industrial machinery or consumer devices, many engineers increasingly choose to switch from point-to-point wiring to connector-based cable assemblies. Key takeaways from the article “Modular Connectors vs. Hardwiring” are:
- Modular connectors simplify assembly and make for a fuss-free installation.
- Plug-and-play connectors offer flexibility; when equipment is upgraded or moved you do not need to waste time rewiring.
- Cost savings in terms of lower installation cost, troubleshooting/maintenance, versatility, transportation cost (a modular machine can be shipped in smaller pieces).
- Smaller footprint due to streamlined interior wiring.
- Greater production efficiency
- Less maintenance